North Whatcom Fire and Rescue is a new Fire District, formed December 7, 2006, from a vote to merge Whatcom County Fire Protection District #3 and Whatcom County Fire Protection District #13. On January 16, 2007 the new Fire District received approval to officially change their name to Whatcom County Fire Protection District #21. The Fire District now operates as North Whatcom Fire & Rescue.
On July 1, 2011 North Whatcom Fire and Rescue completed a functional consolidation with Whatcom County Fire District #4. Together the service area covers one hundred eighty-two square miles serving an additional nine thousand one hundred-forty residents.
- To view the latest Washington State financial and accountability audit for North Whatcom Fire and Rescue use the following web address:http://portal.sao.wa.gov/ReportSearch Enter in the search text:Whatcom County Fire Protection No 21
* Indicates a Press Release or newspaper article is available.
- 1/5/2020 – NWFR hires career firefighters Gary DeJager, Philip Jackson, Chris Lubenow and Alden Roberts
- 1/2/2020 – Captain Davidson is appointed to temporary Division Chief of Operations
- 11/21/19 – Chief Van der Veen promoted to permanent Division Chief of Operations and Acting Fire Chief
- 11/16/19 – Chief Noonchester resigns
- 8/10/19 – Two FFs chosen to participate in the County Paramedic Program.
- 6/10/19 NWFR hires career firefighters Darioush Kazemi and Tye Tompson
- 5/31/19 Division Chief / Fire Marshall Henry Hollander Retires
- 5/01/19 NWFR hires Division Chief Fire Marshal Herschel Rostov
- 1/24/19 Lt Van der Veen appointed as tempory Division Chief of Operations
- 12/31/18 Chief Pernett retires and Chief Noonchester is selected as Interim Fire Chief
- 8/01/18 NWFR hires career firefighter Charlie Baldwin
- 7/24/18 – NWFR hires career firefighters Cody Bowen, Aaron Ebner, Seth Richmond and Delanie Warne
- 6/04/18 – FF John Swobody looses his battle with cancer and is honored with a Line of Duty Death (LODD) ceremony
- 5/03/18 – LT Arhenholz is promoted to Captain: FF Hofstad is promoted to Lieutenant
- 5/03/18 – Captain Craig Johnson retires
- 03/07/18 – FF Gina Ball retires
- 02/28/18 – FF John Swobody retires
- 11/07/17 – Commissioners, Ansell, Bosman and McPail were re-elected
- 8/03/17 – NWFR hires career firefighters Zack Balonick, Steven Latham and Sean Roberts
- 3/20/17 – Emergency 911 phones boxes are installed on the outside of our stations near public entrances.
- 2/11/17 – NWFR purchases new staff response vehicle
- 2/07/17 – NWFR promotes Stefen Paige to rank of Lieutenant.
- 2/07/17 – NWFR promotes Lieutenant Kris Jorgensen to rank of Training Captain
- 1/02/17 – Training Captain Joe Noonchester is promoted to Assistant Chief of Operations
- NWFR Board of Fire Commissioners approves the 2016-2021 Strategic Plan
- NWFR is awarded a North Region Education Grant in the amount of $1,290.
- NWFR is awarded a Washington State Patrol Grant in the amount of $3,000.
- * 12/21/16 – Chief Pernett completes International Professional Designation Process
- 4/28/16 – NWFR hires career firefighters David Hancock, Jeff Haley, Zachary Scott, Haley Urling-Ehinger, and Levi Wigg
- 3/17/16 – Fire Commissioner Bruce Ansell is appointed to finish Bill Salter’s term
- 1/21/16 – Fire Commissioner Bill Salter retires
- 1/21/16 – John Crawford elected as Fire Commissioner
- 10/05/15 – Volunteer Dale Rutgers was recognized for his 40 years of service to D#3 and NWFR.
- 9/01/15 – NWFR hires William Pernett as fire chief *
- 8/21/15 – NWFR deployed a fire engine to Newhalem as part of a five engine strike to perform protection to the town.
- 6/01/15 – BP donates ambulance to NWFR to use as a rehab vehicle.Volunteers will staff the unit for response when paged out by request of the incident reminder.
- 4/03/15 – NWFR promotes Tony Esser to rank of Lieutenant.
- FEMA grant funds 90% of installation of exhaust removal sysytem upgrade at Delta Station 69.
- January – The Cross Border Chiefs group is formed. Meeitngs will focus on EMS topics, cross border mutual aid and mass casualty.
- 01/15/15 – Six NWFR volunteer firefighters were sworn in
- 12/17/14 – NWFR recieves a favorable audit for 2012 and 2013
- 10/18/14 – NWFR awarded Fire Act Grant for exhaust system removal systems at Blaine Station 61 and Birch Bay Station 63
- 9/11/14 – Participated in 9-11 Memorial Ride from Anacortes to Blaine
- 8/10/14 – NWFR hires career firefighter David Comp
- 7/01/14 – Career crews move into Laurel Station 69
- *6/16/14- Divsion Chief of Operations Chief William Pernett is hired
- 5/30/14 – Sale of Lynden Station 71
- 1/16/14 – Dean Berkeley Sworn in as Fire Commmissioner
- Free monthly CPR classes offered at various stations throughout the district
- Nine NWFR and two City of Lynden firefighters completed the Fire Officer Academy
- Six NWFR volunteers graduated from the Whatcom County Recurit Academy
- Five new volunteer members joined the department as tender support staff
- City of Blaine transferred ownership of Semiahmoo Station 62 over to NWFR
- To reduce costs, the district made the decision to conduct their own ladder and hose testing
- Battalion Chief Larry Johnston completed his Fire Officer Academy training and certification
- NWFR is awarded a Pre-Hospital Particpation grant for $1,208.
- NWFR is awarded a Firefighter 1 Training Grant in theamount of $600.
- NWFR is awarded a North Region Education Grant in the amount of $1,379.
- 12/19/13 – NWFR recognized Roger Hawley during his last official Fire Commissioner meeting
- NWFR signed auto aide first response and mutual aid agreement with City of Lynden to NWFR’s ares north of the City of Lynden
- 11/05/13 – NWFR and District 4 work together to pass the District 4 EMS Levy
- NWFR recieves a favorable finance audit for 2010 and 2011
- 10/28/13 -NWFR hosted first Pumpkin Party at Britton Loop Station 12
- 9/17/13 – Hosted pancake breakfast / Bike Rodeo at Britton Loop Station 12
- 9/01/13 – Adam Smith promoted to Lieutenant
- FF Chris Hollander and Michah McConkey were both recognized for their cost saving suggestions
- FF Kenneth Cunningham was awarded the Construction award for his contribution to the second redesign of the Britton Loop training tower
- 7/13 – Relocated career staff from Lynden Station 71 to Laurel Station 69
- 4/25/13 – Particpated in a mock DUI at Meridian High School
- NWFR had the winning team in the yearly Fitness Challenge.
- 2/25/13 – Lt. Leslee Smith was awarded the Builders’ Award for her role in managing the HS Band trips to Japan
- * 12/15/12 – Santa Run
- Firefighters Tony Esser, John Hollstein, Danny Jensen, Joel Selllingher and Captain Shaun Ward received the Excellence in Service Award
- Firefighters Danny Jensen and John Hollstein received the American Red Cross Hero Award
- Added two training ventilation roof props at Britton Loop Station 12 training grounds
- Particpated in a county wide narrow banding project to update all mobile and portable radios
- Five career firefighters complete their probationary practical exam
- Initiated sharing the “duty officer” rotation with the City of Lynden
- NWFR recieve a joint agency $244,533 MDC Grant of which the district receives $195,627.
- 12/01/12 – Improved the City of Blaine’s fire rating from sice to four, potentially lowering resident fire insurance premiums
- NWFR and the City of Bellingham Fire Departmetn signed an auto aid response agreement for the King Mountain area
- 10/23/12 – NWFR joined the social media trend launching its Facebook page
- 5/20/12 – Joined with District 4 to put on the Haulin Axe Run as a fundraiser for other local non-profits who support safety in our community
- 05/01/12 – Chief Anderson is hired as NWFR District Fire Chief
- 3/11/12 – Firefighters John Hollstein, Daren Bruya, Joel Sellinger, Eva Scherer, Tyler Hanon, Cory Waters and Calen Reginar competed in teh Firefighter Stair Climb to help raise money for Luekemia
- 3/01/12 – Firefighter Joel Sellingher joins NWFR
- 12/31/11 – Chief Fields retires
- NWFR entered one team in the Ski to Sea Race
- 7/01/11 – Hired 6 career firefighters, D.J. Neyens, Blake Bidleman, Jonni Hill, Chris Beyer, Kenneth Cunningham and Tom Kettman
- *6/23/11 – NWFR sign interlocal agreement with District #4 for consolidation of services
- Relocated adminstrative offices to Britton Loop Station 12
- Established tender operatons/joint training tender training with Bellingham Fire Department
- Successfully completed NWFR’s first Fire Officer 1 Academy
- Instituted a four platoon work schedule
- NWFR Fire Commissioners approve a three year contract with the International Association of Firefighters Local 106
- NWFR is awarded $604,233.00 grant for Adequate Fire and Emergenc Response (SAFER) from the Federal Governement
- Three firefighters from “C” shift trained and competed as a crew in the Lake Paden Triathlon
- NWFR entered one team in the Ski to Sea Race
- Began a focused tender operatons division monthly training
- Air Management course developed and adminstered
- Began joint training with Lynden Fire Department
- NWFR recieves a favorable audit of finance and accountability for 2009
- 7/15/10 – Divsion Chief of Training Jeff Hofstad hired
- * 7/10/10 – NWFR hosts Open House and New Apparatus Ceremony at Station 61 in Blaine
- 4/16/10 – NWFR is awarded $195,627.00 Assistance to Firefighters Grant for the purchase of mobile data computers
- 2/09/10 – Collaborated with multiple agencies during the Peach Arch Border Olympic Torch Event
- 1/01/10 – Training Captain Joe Noonchester hired
- 12/09 – Larry McPhail is appointed Fire Commissioenr to finish out Butch Hinchey’s term
- 11/09 – Completed purchase of three new engines and one used ladder truck
- 10/02/09 – NWFR is awarded $1,600 from WA State DOH Trauma Care Grant for a new defibulator unit
- 9/08/09 – NWFR adopts new Capital Facilites Plan and Mitgation Fee Schedule by Henderson, Young and Company
- 8/06/09 – NWFR appoints Chief Fields and Operations Chief as the Responsible SEPA (State Environmental Policy Act) Officials
- 7/10/09-8/20/09 – NWFR holds a series of public meetings and workshops to receive input from the community regarding the Capital Facilities Plan
- 7/29/09 – NWFR begins writing their own checks
- 6/15/09 – NWFR hires new administrative assistant Jennie Sand
- 6/15/09 – NWFR hires new career firefighter Mandy Brassfield
- *6/01/09 – Chief Fields is named WCF Chief of the Year
- 5/01/09 – “B” shift helps to deliver a healthy baby boy
- 4/16/09 – Purchased a new ambulance
- 3/30/09 – Replaced twelve portable radios
- 1/12/09 – Added four new residence to station 62 from Skagit College
- 9/1/08 – NWFR hires new career firefighter John Geleynse.
- 8/1/08 – NWFR launches its new district newsletter The Responder.
- * 7/29/08 – NWFR receives new SCBA through federal grant funding.
- 5/15/08 – NWFR hires new career firefighter Micah McConkey.
- 5/6/08 – NWFR is a key player in the Ardent Sentry federal emergency management exercise
- * 3/31/08 – NWFR completes a Facilities & Capital Needs Assessment conducted by Emergency Services Consulting, Inc.
- 3/21/08 – NWFR presents the following 2007 awards at its annual awards banquet:
- Outstanding Volunteer Recruit Award – Tom Kettman
- Outstanding Probationary Firefighter Award – DJ Riehl
- Volunteer of the Year – Londa VanKirk
- Meritorious Service Award – Murray Folk, John Hollstein, Gina Ball, Blake Scott and Jeff Wheeler
- Chief’s Award – Murray Folk
- Retirement Recognition – Ken Flammang and Eddie Lathers
- * 2/15/08 – NWFR and Whatcom Co. Fire District #7 sign an Automatic First Response Agreement consolidating the operational boundaries of the two districts.
- 1/11/08 – NWFR is awarded a $514,600 Assistance to Firefighters Grant for the purchase of SCBA
- 1/1/08 – NWFR begins new business inspection program in Blaine.
- 12/1/07 – NWFR implements new resident volunteer program. Students from the Skagit Community College Fire Science Program staff Station 62 in Semiahmoo.
- 10/15/07 – Recruit Academy 07-03 begins with four career firefighters
- 6/12/07 – NWFR launches new Fire Prevention Division and hires a Fire Marshal
- 5/15/07 – NWFR begins staffing Station 63 in Birch Bay 24-hours a day
- 4/2/07 – Recruit Academy 07-02 begins with ten career firefighters
- 3/23/07 – NWFR presents the following 2006 awards at its annual awards banquet:
- Outstanding Recruit Award – Adam Smith
- Volunteer of the Year – Jessica King and Dale Rutgers
- Chief’s Award – Debbie Seabury
- Retirement Recognition – Glenn Bos, Tom Moore, and Mike Puhan
- 3/20/07 – NWFR begins staffing Station 71 in Lynden 24-hours a day
- 3/2/07 – NWFR is awarded a $119,594 Assistance to Firefighters Grant for the purchase of bunker gear and pagers
- 2/3/07 – NWFR is awarded $414,000 over five years for the hiring of 4 career firefighters through a Staffing Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant
- 2/1/07 – Recruit Academy 07-01 begins with ten career firefighters
- 1/16/07 – The new fire district officially changed its name to Whatcom County Fire Protection District #21 doing business as North Whatcom Fire and Rescue.
- 12/7/06 – Whatcom County Fire Protection Districts 3 and 13 merge to create a new fire district.